Wednesday 30 January 2013

A new girl in town

When I started this blog I had intended to only feature 1/32 Japanese cars from the '50s to '80s, but since Airfix started to reissue their classic British cars and the availability of American and European cars in this scale I decided to expand the remit to any 1/32 car that tickles my fancy, although the heart of the blog is still the Japanese cars.

Saying that, when I bought the new Airfix BMW MINI kit I knew immediately that I wanted this to be a Japanese-owned car, and have it with a figure.  That's where Aurora Models of Japan came to the rescue.  I ordered SK-002 "Tokyo Girl", which depicts a young lady in a sleeveless top, shorts and heels.
She arrived from Japan within a week - much quicker than some UK retailers can manage!

The model comes in 5 parts: head/upper torso, left leg/lower torso, right leg and separate arms.  The metal castings are clean and only need the odd pouring stub removed and seam-lines buffed off.  The detail on her shorts is lovely and the face is nicely shaped... but, and this is common with all of the Aurora figures I've bought, the eyes are hardly defined at all, which will make painting her a bit of a challenge.  That aside, I think she's beautiful.

Here are a selection of photos of her and the Airfix MINI Cooper S, a lovely model let down by treadless, featureless tyres.  I will have to get Scalextric wheels and tyres for it.  I have drilled a hole in her instep to allow me to pin her to the scenic base since she doesn't have as much contact with the ground as, say, a British Para... and she's quite a heavy girl.








Back to the Showa diorama next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment