Saturday 19 January 2013

A Diorama Grows

Well, I thought that with the Mazda nearing completion it was time to start work on a display base.  Rummaging in my Arii Showa spares box I came up with a fence and street lamp, coupled with a modified Tamiya bicycle, an Italeri telegraph pole and one or two Aoshima parts from Samurai era diorama kits.

Here is the basic layout of the small diorama base, using an old picture frame and a hardboard panel.


The gate and cover are from a Model Art diorama accessory set.  You might also see the Arii letter box on the fence next to the gate.  Behind the gate is a path leading up to a house... this is made from PVA coated card.  There will also be a tree and a shrub, although the ground won't be a grass lawn, although there will be grass tufts around the base of the tree and along the length of the fence.


Some of the other models added to the scene:



The bike looks right at home, even without a lick of paint anywhere:


The Italeri telegraph pole with the Arii lamp and shade added:


Next job to do is mix up some Polyfilla and texture the diorama base.  Not 100% sure what the road surface should be.. tarmac?  Concrete?  Dirt??  Must do some research into that.



As far as the Mini goes I have completed the wheels... I know, hardly a logical work method, but it suits me.
I painted the wheels themselves with Radome Tan from Humbrol and Life Color satin black for the tyres.  For the chrome hubs I used good old Bare Metal Foil.  Nothing gives a chrome effect than chrome foil.


I've also reduced the depth of the headlight rims.  Looking at 1959/1960 Minis also shows that the grille was sometimes an off-white colour.  I may need to research this a bit more.







No comments:

Post a Comment