Thursday 3 January 2013

Getting down to it!

As long time followers of my blog will recall I started on an Arii 1/32 Mazda R360 Coupe a long time ago.  The first one had a paint-mishap... in that the chrome foil lifted the paint off, which had been applied too thinly.
I started a second one and actually managed to break the side quarterlight frames... which wasn't very clever.
Well the third one is heading towards completion without any major disasters.  What I've learned is that car models are require a different approach from armour kits.  While weathering and stowage can conceal some iffy modelling or painting malfunctions, car models require a bit more delicacy... and chrome.

No thin washes or drybrushing here, no weathering powders or ground texture stuffed into wheel arches... just nice clean cars.  The little Mazda is really a baptism of fire for me, and despite the setbacks I've kept at it behind the scenes.
I've completed the chromework on the shell and painted the black rubber surrounding the rear and front windows.  Once the headlight have been added and the decals applied I'll complete the interior and the hubcaps.

I'll upload photos once the headlights are in place, but so far I am very very pleased with the way it's turned out so far.

After this I will report on building a diorama for the smaller cars.  Then after that, the MRRC reissue of the Airfix Mini from the 80s.

No comments:

Post a Comment