Monday 7 November 2011

Another Day

Going to Tojo-Tei the other day I finally saw some Showa era cars - a yellow Isuzu Bellett, and what looked like a 70s Skyline.  The Isuzu was going in the opposite direction to us so never really got a good look at it, but the Skyline was in the next lane to us for a while.  A lovely deep metallic blue... this thing had clearly been restored.  Really smart-looking, and totally different in concept to Ryoko's 2005 Toyota Raum, which is a large estate car.

Today I went to Sensou-Ji, the huge temple and shopping street in Asakusa.  While walking along I saw people looking back where I had come from and taking photos... I turned and saw this...
My camera was out of my backpack faster than an otaku at an AKB48 signing!  This is Sky Tree, a structure much, much taller than Tokyo Tower.  I couldn't tell you how far away the new tower is from Asakusa, but with the haze it must be quite a bit.

Sensou-Ji was pretty much like it had been the other few times I had been there: loads of tourists, schoolkids and older Japanese people.  The shops running up the entrance to the temple are a bit strange... I couldn't imagine St Paul's Cathedral for example allowing shops lining the entrance to the main doors.
I had a good look and there's all the usual tourist tat: Ultraman masks, PVC kaiju, over-priced key-rings and mobile charms, headbands, plastic swords and more rice cakes than you could eat in a life-time.

Here is a side gate to the temple:


I still have over a week and a half in Japan so I am determined to find that elusive little Subaru 360, Prince Gloria or Daihatsu three-wheeler.

No comments:

Post a Comment