Thursday 24 January 2013

Another update

I've been feeling a bit run down after work this week, so I haven't done as much as I wanted to... however, I did add some kerb stones to the diorama, about a metre out from the fence.  I saw this while watching "Always Sunset on Third Street" and seemed to be an effort to separate the compacted dirt road from the compacted pedestrian section... I wouldn't call it a pavement... as it doesn't look wide enough for someone to walk comfortably along.
Anyway, these were made from PVA coated card to make them less likely to warp under the paint and washes to be applied.

I also found some interesting period advertising posters to allow me to create a better feeling for the time: late '50s/early '60s.


While surfing the web I also came across this little 'beauty':


It's a UAZ 452 made by the Czech company Bilek to 1/35 scale.  It's a plastic model kit with a fret of etched metal detail parts.  From what I've seen of review builds it's a lovely model to build, well moulded and pretty detailed.
Further investigation showed that the van is also sold in a civilian guise as the UAZ 3909.  Apparently it dates from 1958 and has remained practically unchanged since then.  So why is it here on this blog?  Some are imported into Japan!  I don't know how long they've been imported, but I think it's in very small numbers.  This is one importer's site: http://www.uaz.jp/, while this site seems to be another importer: http://www.kurumaseikatsu.co.jp/uaz/index.htm... can you have more than one importer?
There is also an online review of the imported van, with a whole heap of photos, many of them showing details which are ideal for modellers: http://www.carview.co.jp/road_impression/article/uaz_3909/1003/
Both are Japanese language sites, but those of you with Google Chrome should be able to set auto translate.

In these photos from the site, you can see the Japanese number plate and the fact that it is imported as a Left Hand Drive vehicle, which must be awkward for Japanese drivers...  They also come in TWO colours - greyish white, or Army Green, but I think the specs are improved for the Japanese buyers.



It's not the prettiest of vehicles, but it's certainly different.  I'm thinking of finishing it as a rural hotel's runabout, maybe an onsen resort in Hakone or something along those lines.  Either way, it's not your average van.  Most of the ones I've seen built have been as Afghanistan or Iraq diorama props... lots of imagination there.
So this is on order from the Czech Republic for 25 Euros plus 8 Euros postage.  Not that cheap, but what is these days?


No comments:

Post a Comment